Introduction to Module 8: Climate Change
The relationship between climate change and migration has gained increasing visibility on the policy agenda over the last decade and there is now much more awareness of the need to address this complex topic. Millions of men, women and children around the world move in anticipation or as a response to environmental stress every year. Module 8 will help students understand the relationship between environmental change and migration, students will learn about mobility drivers and policy initiatives to address the climate impacts on migration.
Students will be able to articulate the relationship between climate change and migration, examine the drivers of mobility, and discuss the policy implications of environmental change and human mobility.
WMR Chapter Focus
This module will draw on the topic of migration and climate change detailed in the World Migration Report (Ch. 9 WMR 2020 and 2022) and other resources developed by the Migration Research Division.
1-2 class periods (50-100 minutes) plus independent student work.
- Class period one: introduction, student resource sheet; text-based and data-based questions
- Class period two: Module 8 Scenario Interactive Activity: “Examining policy initiatives that address climate impacts on migration”
There are several assessment options in this module and teachers may use some or all of them.
- Understanding the Basics: Questions based on the Student Resource Sheets
- Going Further:
- Text case study: People at risk
- Data case study: New internal displacements due to conflict and disasters
- Interactive Scenario: Students work to develop regional and country profiles to support policy initiatives that address climate impacts on migration
Evidence of Learning
Students will work together to complete a group activity that focuses on policy responses to environmental change and human mobility. The activity includes an oral and/or visual presentation about the project.
Visit IOM’s Environmental Migration Portal and read a blog about the impact of COVID-19 on migration and the environment.